This guy is built of fgr,resin,and fiberglass.
I wish I had process pics but here it is in a nutshell.
Built an armature out of 1x2 wood, metal hardware, and screws on a MDF base.
Taped on newspaper to quickly build the forms.
Covered the forms with FGR (plaster for use with fiberglass) and fiberglass to make a sort of 3d armature.
I cut the 3d armature in half and then reassembled it by adding another layer (I did this to keep the final piece light).
Onto the 3d armature I sculpted the hands and head in clay.
Flexable molds were built of the clay parts right onto the peice.
once the molds were done and removed I cast the parts in resin, removed the old parts and attached the cast ones.
I removed the MDF base and finished the lower legs in resin to match the other skin parts right onto the sculpture with no mold.
The resin was painted and I brought in a specialist to help me tailor the outfit.(thanks mom)
By the way I used 100% silicone I got a Wal-Mart thinned with mineral spirits to create my flex molds and saved a bunch of $.
More 3d Images in my sketchbook.
Last edited by MarkTeare; April 18th, 2005 at 01:48 PM. Reason: update
Looks huge! Pretty cool. good job, the use of matierials is nifty.
Crappy stuff by me!
Please check it out and drop advice, tell me what I'm doing wrong, and suggest things to learn!!!
pretty cool, neat that it stands up on it's own!
davi- yeah i worked pretty hard to ensure he would stand correctly. I tried to keep his center of gravity balanced in the armature and I kept him attached to a flat surface while I built him. I used a jigsaw to cut away the extra material from the base just before I finished the feet.
noshadow- thats his girlfriend. they enjoy looking at art together. You should see her old boyfriend.
first off, you do amazing work. truly amazing. i have a quick question for you. you mentioned using silicon you found at walmart. exactly what kind of silicon? i'm very inexperienced with molding and casting and would love to find a cheap material to experiment with. thanks in advance
motorbot- thanks. Well I started using 100% silicon in the caulking section from the hardware store which runs about $3 a tube. I did some tests and found that some cheaper stuff from walmart worked just as well and it was only $1.50 per tube or something. I'm not exactly sure of the name but it is silicone but it just doesn't specify it is 100%. Then all you need is some mineral spirits. Use the mineral spirits to thin the silicone in a bucket until it is a brushable thickness and you have a cheap and easy to find flexable mold material. Actually planning and making the mold is a bit more work. Maybe if I get some time this summer Ill post a simple tute on flexible mold making but feel free to ask me if you have any questions.Originally Posted by motorbot