I was never really sure about which study path I shall pick when I finish school. I was always very interested in Design, but there were also a lot of other things I was interested in. Now I found this forum and watched at a lot of stuff and tutorials and I am 100% sure that I want to study design. My only Problem is, that I don't really know where to start. I like sketching a lot and I am not bad at it and I often worked with photoshop, but how do I proceed? Right now I am just practicing a bit every day and read some threads in this forum form time to time and I am also going to visit at least one drawing or sketching course and planned to ask my art teacher for some help.
Have you got some hints for me?
I cant give you much advice mate except stay away from Graphic design i.e. designing logos, business cards, stationary etc. ! Im trying to get out of it and into illustration or just selling my artwork in general.
Im in ireland and theres not much illustration work or concept art work so im kinda screwed.
Only persue graphic design if you dont mind long hours, bad pay and stress, but love design.
If you love drawing i think you should head for game industry or illustration.
Whos the dead guy with the salt shaker?
Thanks for your answer,
I already noticed that graphic design isn't the type of design I am looking for.
I thought of studying industrial design besides another sudying path (maybe art oder a different type of design), because I can imagine that you might have good use of the things you are learning there anyways. Is somebody here who can confirm that or is it just the opposite?
Look seriously into Industrial design if that's your choice. I work in architecture. When I started I imagined it was mostly design. Industrial Design here in Canada works a lot like Architecture does. Design is about 5% of the job. Technical resolution, contract and construction management is the other 95%. That's not a ball park. In architecture you budget 5% of the fee for design and if you're carefull about running your business you spend the time accordingly. You may find that the percentages different in industrial design, but its more a general form of engineering than it is Art.
Hm... well, a first I have to improve my skills. I think that is most
important at the moment, but thanks for the pieces of information!
Any advices or experiences are welcomed ^^
Has by the way anyone studied in Germany?
there are lotsa jobs u can get... when u can draw.. i think.. u can do evrything.. depends on ur drawing skill but its possible anyways..
2d 3d design grafix webdesign illustrations.. visualisation logo design etc.. besides.. u can design evrything !
.. most of these uses pencil drawing .. no c00l design without pencil concepts ... when u really wanna dig into that as deep as u can... learn how to draw.. learn about
this is what u have to know in order to draw correct.. the next part is artistic ideas and inspiration and lotsa stuff no teacher in this world can teach you!
when u knows these basics u can start shading and rendering .. coloring etc... for me it is really hard to shade without knowing anything about my surfaces*shapes volume.. the volume is what turns out after shading.. the volumetrical look .. the 3D ness
when u know basics... like u know how to walk or eat.. there will be no more problem.. u donnt need any school to learn these basics above !
iam from germany .. but i dont intent to study here.. u can study cool stuff when u pay lotsa money.. which is disgusting... i dont need that anyways to develope my skill.. what i need is : basic drawing knowledge : then i need artistic power...
if u have some more questions.. pm me
He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands, and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands, and his head, and his heart, is An Artist"
St. Francis of Assisi