Herein lies the collected brain excrement of the dynamic trio...
Meticulously listed by alphabetical order!
Watch and wonder as they toil against the passage of time to deliver five... NAY, SIX cohesively designed characters by the end of CA.org's very own TEAM Character of the Week event!
As a reminder to the team, here are the breifs!
- Female, between 20 - 30. Has no memory of anything beyond a year before present.
- Stubborn to a fault, but unswervingly loyal to those she cares about, convinced that she could lose her memory of them at any time she makes the most of every moment.
- Has a tendency to say things before she thinks about them.
- Rumoured to have a second personality that can remember everything from before, a 'dark' side, as it were, with totally different personality traits. **
- A quick learner, but unlikely to pay attention unless something immediately catches her interest.
- Searching for her past but ultimately easily caught up in the present and the worries of others, tending to think of other people before herself.
- Found (to her horror) that she is more than capable of handling herself in a fight, and likely capable of killing.
- Male, between 20 - 30 (should be around Hero's age).
- The only person that the hero has any memory of, beyond the last year (though she can only remember his face), and the only person who might know who she is. He pretends he doesn't know, or refuses to say.
- Seemingly self-absorbed but actually self-destructive, has a tendency to take out his insecurities as malicious remarks on other people.
- Isn't well liked, but doesn't care, or pretends he doesn't.
- Doesn't seem to have any friends except the hero, who he would do anything for, though of course he would never say that. However, though he seems to actively despise the rest of her friends, he cares for them more than he admits.
- Whether he is helping the hero find her memory, or actively hindering her, is unclear. She believes he is helping her. He doesn't necessarily believe that it would help her to find it.
- Often disappears for long periods.
- Male or Female, between 25 - 50, well-built
- Found the Hero directly after she had lost her memory, and managed to piece her back together.
- Strong and loyal, but prone to worry. Decided to take hero under wing, and began to notice the very strange energies* and events that surrounded her.
- Completely distrusts the Shadow and the Sage and believes they are actively working against the Hero's interests, but defer's to the Hero's opinion and trust of them.
- Strengths lie in activities done with the hands - higher concepts either are not a concern, or are too hard to think about in depth.
- Honest and blunt, so sometimes seems unkind, but never means it.
- Sometimes wonders if accidently stepped in way too deep into something never meant to be approached.
- Male or Female, any age
- Does not come from the same country* as hero. Came from far away to find something, and claims that the hero will lead her to it, though will not say what it is - even whether it is a physical object* or a higher plane*.
- Often seems to be looking through the person that he/she is speaking to, and just as frequently stares off into space.
- Seems to disappear whenever trouble starts, but has saved the hero and her companion multiple times to threats that they were completely obvlivious/unaware of.
- Eats very little and sleeps less, and makes very little noise when he/she walks.
- Female, 18 - 28
- Completely in tune with anything mechanical*. Takes things apart / dissects things with disturbing regularity, and while can usually put them back together again sometimes forgets to do so, to the dismay of her friends whose objects* she 'borrows'.
- Fascinated by all methods of transport*, and has an amazingly large memory for all vehicles* and machines* but not for people or places (they are just not important!)
- Initially hired for one-off job by the Hero and the Protector, but took an instant liking to them and convinced them of her usefullness.
- Not very good in rough situations like fights, prefers cold logic of puzzles, as her size tends to work against her. However, pressed into a corner, she can make her technical* knowledge work to her advantage in place of physical prowess.
- wears her heart on her sleeve and is often very cheerful, but takes some blows very hard (a friend getting hurt, etc). Sometimes flighty.
The Rabble Rouser
- Male, 20 - 30 (should be around Hero's age)
- Met Hero + crew rather accidently and they helped out of a bit of trouble (which he had gotten himself into and was almost entirely his fault).
- Developed instant infatuation with Hero + told her that he would help her find her memory. Infatuation may or may not be sincere. Hero does not return it.
- Tends to bring trouble with him, or create it when he gets there, as he grates people's nerves.
- Charming and seemingly hollow, but in select instances with the Shadow has shown that he's invested more in the quest than one would think - though perhaps not for the apparent reasons.
- Has good luck with gambling to match his bad luck with people, and never is wont for money - it tends to find him as easily as he finds it.
- Has an excellent memory for faces as well as for numbers.
- Well groomed, but not as flamboyant as one might expect - unless it is on purpose as part of a bluff.
Lovingly copied and pasted from Daestwen's original thread!
WHO IS DOING WHAT:
Dario: The Hero, the Shadow
Lindsey: The Rabble Rouser, the Protector
Thomas: The Sage, the Technician
Last edited by Pseudocognition; May 1st, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
Ideas... considering this is the type of stuff I usually go for, I'd like for one or both of you to throw your own ideas into the pot. Maybe we could mix this with more sci-fi or whatever you're more comfortable with.
thanks for your efforts! The thread is a great idea for keeping everything together.
I thought I just start doing small sketches of all the characters, so I picked the first one and made this little sheet.
During the sketching fun I had the idea of designing a kind of spacepirate crew. So the world i'm thinking of would definetly be in future, spaceships flying around, lonely planets waiting to be discovered, mean ugly aliens and military dudes trying to get rid of our crew. In matter of style this gives us a nice freedom, because we can combine almost every type of fashion with sci-fi elements. What do you think?
I dig that idea a lot! Good thinking, man.
Maybe we could do this kind of deal for each character:
Just a back/front though, not orthographic, and accessory/weapon details?
I'll be on Skype later, I have work until 3 PM my time so that's like... nine for you two. Ahaha D:
Some rabble rousers? I don't think any of these will work as they are... ah well. I have four hours to think about it at work XD
PS, I really like 9, 5 and 10!
good luck guys! Looking good so far. I like #9 a lot. Being able to see most of the head and face is a plus for the hero. I like 1 and 5 could be elaborated on with this idea.
Pseudo, turn-arounds would be sweet! A full character sheet would give you the liberty to address alternate costumes and accessories.
Lindsey, that is some nice and fast output! I would say the first 2 are the closest to the rabble rouser I have in mind. Have been online yesterday evening, but you weren't there.
Your idea for the layout is also a good way to go - I'm in!
-Matsign: Thanks for the comment, I'm also tending to work out 9, as I fell in love with the design as soon as the ink hit the paper.
Some "The Shadow" shizzles... I like 4 and 10 most, but let's wait and see where the following sketches will lead to.
Just another thing to help keep everything together, here are more thoughts on the costume designs:
If we are to use Chinese armor as inspiration for shapes, then we should think of a more modern material... bike armor tends to be badass and rugged and sort of suggests that rebellious attitude that a band of space pirates would have, eh?
Then each character can have his or her own personal touches inspired by whatever interesting cultures we can dig up.
Annnnnnd art from work!
I thought the Sage should be FAR more spacey and alien-y than the rest, like she just hopped on board along the way and wouldn't leave. I'd like to do something sort of Abe Sapieny with her/him/it... gotta love Abe.
finally got some time on my hands... 3 free days without duties... phew. hope i can get a lot done.
i like your ideas, and the bike "armor" is great. Im not sure if we need every character to be influenced by chinese armor though, considering its a group of desperados, which could shape up from people with totally different cultural backgrounds imo. so the bike armor could serve as a good base but with different accessories for each char, but we can aswell do them more tied together designwise, what do you think?
i envisioned the sage as an alien aswell .
hooray! I can't wait to see what you contribute.
Hm... yeah, I see what you mean. Could we keep it a more asian vibe though? European armor is so boring haha D:
Needs more sci-fi touches. Any suggestions? Oh, and with or without the hat? It looks really silly but I'm kind of in love with it.
Last edited by Pseudocognition; April 11th, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
Alrighty, after screwing around with his face for hours I think I found the right look. Maybe. Opinions?
Tomorrow is dedicated to the Protector!
Dario, I'm definitely going to implement your idea flaunting his muscles vainly (right now it's just a poor-anatomy filler arm as you can see haha)... but I may have to keep one sleeve--the kimono thing looks kind of like a smoking jacket, and the imagery it brings up is just perfect:
I like the changes on the rabble rouser! Glad you could use my feedback.
I really dig the sage sketches too, but i'll sketch something myself if you don't mind. Maybe we can meet somewhere in between.
Here are some more variations for the hero costume. Lindsey and I like the third version the most, so I think I'll work on that some more. Adding details like badges, holsters, bags, etc.
Of course the facial part will change, maybe a mask, glasses or other costume elements.
Looks great guys!
Nice, dario! I think the problem you're having is balancing sophistication with the whole rugged pirate thing. The hat is cute and I love how it continues the vertical design, the break in it from the hat to the collar really frames her face. But hmm... I can't really express what I mean.
It might be that it's too elegant? Thought I do like the idea of her taking the hat off and letting her hair fly loose when she's in that second, violent persona. Maybe she wears prim and proper feminine accessories like the purse and hat when she's normal to try and trick herself into thinking that she really /is/ normal. On the other hand, would the leader of a group of space pirate type people carry a purse around the ship...?
Oi, I have no idea. This is a tough design challenge!
Have some Protectors.
Last edited by Pseudocognition; April 15th, 2009 at 12:06 PM.
Hero color comps on one of your earlier versions! Feel free to use or disregard them at your leisure.
Plus, a protector that might be leaning towards a final...? I have stuff to scan this afternoon as well but I have to drive my sister to the airport, and I'm not sure I'll be on Skype in time to catch either of you before it's bedtime for Austria.
Excellent, Lindsey! I'm ashamed seeing your great output and me dropping stuff from time to time. Working a lot currently, but I'll have some free time this evening again.
Just let me say I really love the protector and I'm so glad you went with the indian guy. Very original and unique. My fullest respect and I'm happy to share this project with you. One thing though... better mention it now than never: His legs are quite short, or lets say he doesn't have hips. And I would prefer seeing his hands too. Design... you know.
Oh and what about changing the tribal tattoo to an indian style henna thing? You know... the stuff that usually lands on the hands of the ladies. Google images spits out some very interesting tattoo designs. I like the red color!
:edit: Totally forgot to mention... Thank you very much for the color variations! I started to do some myself yesterday, but ended up with my usual colors, so the fresh input comes very right now.
Hah... very solid shapes! Good ones both of you Keep them up - g
Visual art: http://www.visualart.ro/DreamEvil
Dario, Thomas, I want to see ART! WOOT!
Here's the Protector. Paintovers welcome, and as always, it's never to late to change things around completely haha!
One last update before bed.
i think the third color scheme is probably my favorite, but i think it would read much better if you used the value system established with good ol' black and white, ala the fourth image. that one is definitely my favorite, but if you tie any group of colors to that value scale, it'll look solid.
great work, guys. it's a blast watching your approach to design evolution.
Still diggin that last one, reminiscent of Adidas or not! Maybe you could do something with the stripes to make it less adidasy. Change them to a different pattern? Circles?
Temporary Sage, I had some ideas for a weird morphing space jellyfish lady. I don't care if we use her or not, it's just here to make me feel less nervous about the lack of art from Thomas ._. Come on buddy! YOU CAN DO ITTTTT!!!!
And updated Protector...! Thank you for the Sadhu idea, I've never seen pix of them before and they are hella amazing. Wow.